Thursday, June 19, 2014

5 films you should own


Grew up watching all but one of these. But the most modern entry is a favorite of mine too. These make me remember the days when having an adventure, or at least day dreaming about having an adventure with your friends outside was a thing. And I don't mean questing in an RPG. I mean actually going outside. No offense to gamers.

#1 (and really, I don't care who you are, you can't argue with this one)
Stand By Me

Technically, (well not even technically) this is not sci-fi or fantasy. But it is still an adventure. This is the gold standard of coming of age movies and the cast is fantastic. Wil Wheaton, Jerry O'Connell, Corey Feldman, Kiefer Sutherland, and of course, the late, great River Phoenix. Much like The Breakfast Club, if you have not seen this movie, there is something wrong with you. Based on the book, The Body by Steven King, this film was big for me growing up. Because of it I know that I will never have friends like I had when I was 12 (no offense to my current friends) and even today I cant see a railroad bridge without thinking, "TRAIN!" If your friend asked you if you wanted to see a dead body, what would you do?

# 2
The Goonies

Another classic. If Stand by me didn't exist, this would be number 1. And again, what is wrong with you if you have not seen this? Where Stand By Me is more serious, The Goonies is it's lighthearted brother. I mean, we all know what the truffle shuffle is and if someone shouted out, "Hey you guys!" most of us would get the reference. Sean Astin, Corey Feldman, and Josh Brolin lead a great cast off to find a lost pirate treasure that could save their homes.


#4
Explorers

Some of you may not have seen this one. But trust me, it's gold. A young Ethan Hawk, River Phoenix, and Bobby Fite find themselves building a space ship based on designs they are seeing in their dreams. They are chosen to make first contact with an alien species that turns out to not be as advanced as they they expected. Or at least the ones they meet are not as advanced as expected.

#5
The Monster Squad

Another you may not have seen, but again, trust me, gold. Kids vs. the classic movie monsters. Basically, Dracula is putting the band back together do what monsters in movies do. It has some great funny moments like "Wolfman's got nards!" and other sweet moments like Frankenstein finding friendship with a little girl. No, seriously. It's got a huge cheese factor but it is still great. It's more along the lightheartedness of The Goonies. Not as polished but still no less fun.

# 3
Super 8

A modern entry into this list, but still a good one. I'm not a fan of everything J.J. Abrams makes. (Cloverfield? What the hell was that?) But this movie is definitely worthy enough to be on this list. It reminded me of everything I loved about the other movies on this list. Most notably, while there was teen crushing, teen romance did not dominate the story. It is about friends and family... while dealing with an alien on the rampage.


No comments:

Post a Comment

HyperSmash.com