Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The networks should make these shows


So it’s that time once again. Networks are building up there new series in hopes we will get hooked. Not that we were not already hooked on existing shows that got canceled for whatever reason that makes sense to executives. I’m looking at you, NBC. But anyway…

Sometimes we do genuinely like the new programming. Sometimes we can tell just by looking at the previews that it is not gonna last. Ever see a preview and ask,  “Who thought this was a a good idea?” But lets not dwell on the negative. You, like me, have probably thought up any number of shows that should be made. Weather they be new, spin-offs, or reboots we all think we have good ideas. In some cases we are probably thinking the same things. Here is what is on my mind.

Star Trek: (Fill in the blank)

This is one of those things that I’m not alone in wanting. Seriously, we need a new Trek series on TV. Love them or hate them, the J.J Abrams Trek flicks are not why we love Star Trek. Sure, a sci-fi action blockbuster is fun and honestly, I thought the new films were good. But my Trek fix needs weekly, one-hour character driven stories. It’s fun to get to know a new crew of characters and maybe be joined by or at least have cameos of characters from the previous series. There is still plenty of galaxy to be explored.
  

Buck Rogers

Some of you may not have seen this classic series. I can only claim memories of seeing a few episodes when I was younger. And those were re-runs. The series, Buck Rogers In The 25th Century, appeared in 1979 as a TV movie and then as a series that lasted only two seasons. It was about a NASA pilot who got frozen and lost in space for 504 years. He would join the Earth Defense Directorate as a fighter pilot. This show could easily be given the Battlestar Galactica treat and look amazing and just be great in general. It doesn’t have to be as grim as Battlestar, but it has the potential to be a very good show.


Star Wars: X-Wing

So there is a Star Wars series in some sort of development. I don’t know what form it will take. But I know what form I want it to take. I’ll take either Rogue or Wraith squadron or maybe a little of both. The stories of these two New Republic fighter squadrons take place in books and comics. This could be done in the same way that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is being handled. The series can take place in the same worlds as the movies, but with different characters living the same events through different eyes and having their own adventures away from and unrelated to those of the major SW characters. And you wouldn’t need Jedi or the Force to be a part of it either.


Red Dawn

Okay. Not Sci-fi or fantasy. But this is my blog and I’m making an exception. The original is one of my all time favorite movies when I was younger and I’m still trying to figure out why they had to go and mess with it by making whatever that was that is a re-boot. For the record, I have not seen the new one. But I’m trusting my instincts that I’m not going to like it. Anyway, post-apocalyptic dramas are all the rage right now. We got zombies, aliens, that thing that NBC is doing. While Red Dawn isn't really post-apocalypse, it does have some of those elements to it. The story of a group of high-school students turned guerilla freedom fighters after a Soviet invasion of the U.S. could be very good. It even has the retro element people love by taking place in the 80s.


The Last Starfighter

Another favorite of mine from my youth. Alex Rogen is a teenager saved (if you could call it that) from his boring life at a trailer park when he beats a video game that was really an entrance exam for the Starfighters, protectors of the Star League. If this were a Disney property you would have seen it in a new form already. It has a lot of elements going for it. A young hero, video games, battles in space, and teenagers in love (which seems to be a requirement these days). A sequel has been talked about for years now but other then members of the cast being up for it, as far as I know nothing has ever come of it. There is plenty of room in this universe to expand in to more stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

HyperSmash.com