Thursday, February 14, 2013

Natalie Portman, Queen of Sci-Fi





It’s hard to argue against Natalie Portman being the most successful actress in science fiction right now. I always thought she was good at what she does. But I really took notice, or should I say, my nerd side took notice, when she took the role of Evie Hammond in V For Vendetta, one of my favorite movies. Her performance, to me anyway, was severely underrated and should have gotten some form of award attention.

Portman has also immortalized herself by becoming a member of the Star Wars franchise. Yes, the new trilogy came before V, but the prequel trilogy didn’t live up to the hype in my opinion. And I’m not going to get into and old vs. new debate here. But I thought Natalie did well as Padme Amidala despite her character’s passing due to the lack of the will to live. Anyway…

It took a literally crazy good performance in Black Swan to get Natalie Portman the recognition she has deserved for quite some time. However the nerd world has held her in high regard before her Oscar. Now she is reprising her role as Jane Foster in Thor: The Dark World. Maybe a studio will wise up and give her a starring role in her own super hero movie. At one point she was attached to play Lizzie Bennett in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, based on the book by Seth Grahame-Smith, a parody of the Jane Austen novel. It would also be interesting to see if she returns to the Mathilda character in another The Professional movie. Natalie Portman as a lethal assassin? You know you'd want to see Mathilda: The Professional. And you know you want to see her center stage as the lead in a sci-fi project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

HyperSmash.com