Wednesday, January 30, 2013

To Rock and to Rule




A malevolent rock star kidnaps a female singer to force her to participate in the summoning of a demon and her band must help stop him.



That is a real synopsis of a real movie believe it or not. The name of the film is Rock & Rule. It is a movie that came to my attention by chance. I do not recall exactly when, but close to thirty years ago, my dad happened to record an obscure animated film from 1983 that happened to be broadcast most likely on HBO. Not that I have sufficiently made myself feel old. I’ll go one further and remind everyone that there was a time that there was only one HBO channel. And recorded as on a VCR. Ah the days of the VCR… Sorry.


Anyway, it’s a curios animated film that includes music from Cheap Trick, Blondie members Debbie Harry and Chris Stein, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, and Earth Wind & Fire. It’s a weird animated anomaly that is just good times. Not exactly something made for kids, even though I was a kid when I saw and enjoyed it, but it is a fun flick to watch.

It is the classic struggle between good and evil where a young hero must save his true love. He also learn that his selfishness is holding him back and the woman he loves (well, woman as in female, everyone is descended from something not human in this) completes him more then he knows. Just animated with a killer soundtrack. And yes, a tad cheesy. But cheese can be good.

It had always held a nostalgic place in my heart. And I am glad I found it again. It’s available now on DVD and Blu-Ray.




No comments:

Post a Comment

HyperSmash.com