Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Bilbo lives!


An Unexpected Journey was much of what I expected. It was good. I didn’t see it in IMAX, 3D, or in the HFR. I wanted to enjoy it in the way it should be, just as it is.

Being a fan of the book, it was a joy to see just how closely the film followed along. Yes, they added stuff, but it is true to the original material. Well, not entirely. In the book the animals can talk and have their own kings. But that might be a bit much for some people, especially the critics who somehow found enough problems with this film to not like it. Well, maybe one other criticism, and it did not bother me all that much, was that there were quite a few flashbacks. However, these flashbacks have a lot of action. And to be honest, I found the pace of this first part of The Hobbit trilogy to be faster than the pace in The Fellowship of the Ring. It did not feel like I was in the theater for nearly three hours.

Not that I was worried about how The Hobbit films would turn out, but An Unexpected Journey gives me a good feeling about the final two parts of this adventure.



1 comment:

  1. I agree. Bilbo lives! It's good when people can say they like a movie, plain and simple. Often people avoid movies because of what critics say. And critics sometimes forget it's not always easy finding the balance between staying true to the book and telling a story through film. I think this article gets to the point and is well thought out.

    ReplyDelete

HyperSmash.com