Thursday, December 13, 2012

A love and meh relationship with J. J. Abrams


Usually I am either a fan of someone or I just don’t bother with him or her at all. Although sometimes some people just annoy me for whatever reason, but those are other stories.

It seems I either love something J.J Abrams is involved with, or it does not speak to me at all. For instance, though it has some flaws, I thought his reboot of the Star Trek franchise was fantastic. On the other hand, I don’t see what the big deal was with Cloverfield. Okay, so I was one of the few who got a little nausea watching it, but that had more to do with the hand held footage thing. The movie itself didn’t really leave much of an impression on me. Then there was Super 8, which was fantastic. It had the feel of the movies from my youth that I still love like Stand By Me. Not as good as Stand By Me, but still pretty dam good and you don’t get many movies like this anymore.

The only TV series of his that I am really a fan of is Fringe. Ironically, I’m one of the few who are fans, but at least it got a final season to wrap things up. Alias never real interested me and I couldn’t get into Lost. Revolution didn’t do much for me either. I never caught an episode of Undercovers, but neither did a lot of other people. Felicity, while not really my thing, but I have seen some of it and I thought it was pretty good. The same goes for Person of Interest.

It’s obvious that Abrams is a busy and talented guy. In spite of my opinion of some of his work, he is very productive and has made a very good name for himself.

Obviously, my opinion is in the minority when it comes to J. J. Abrams. While I am not a fan of all of his projects, there are a lot of people who are. And there is nothing wrong with that. You don’t have to like or dislike everything a person creates. You can be a fan of the art and not necessarily a fan of the artist. I am eagerly anticipating Star Trek Into Darkness. I have no doubts it will be as good as the fist.


No comments:

Post a Comment

HyperSmash.com